Condo Living: Tips for Dog Owners
If you will be sharing your new condo with a four-legged roommate, keep in mind that not everyone living at the condominium is fond of dogs. To make condo living a pleasant experience for you and your neighbours we have listed a few useful tips:
1. Familiarize yourself with the condo corporation rules regarding pets, such as what are the breed/size restrictions if any.
2. Be mindful of the size of your unit when considering the breed you are getting. There are breeds that are better suited for condominium living. With a few exceptions, smaller dogs will usually need less space to run around.
3. Make sure your dog is well socialized as he will be meeting many people in the condo, a fearful or an aggressive dog can quickly become a problem.
4. Keep your dog on a leash at all times when outside your unit. You will have more control of your dog if you keep him on a short leash and close to you when walking through the lobby or hallways of your building.
5. Do not allow your dog to run up to anyone because contrary to what you may think, not everyone likes dogs.
6. Ensure your dog in in its best behaviour at all times. It can be unpleasant to have a dog bark in the common areas or to jump on people, no matter how small the dog may be. The last thing you want is to have a neighbour complain about your dog. You may need to sign up for dog training classes but it will be an investment that will give you peace of mind for years to come.
7. When riding on an elevator stand toward the back. Teach your dog to sit next to you and keep his eyes on you during the ride. He should get up and exit the elevator only on a cue from you.
8. Give your dog plenty of exercise. Taking your dog for a walk is a great opportunity for both you and him to get fresh air and exercise, and to explore your neighbourhood.
9. Always carry a plastic bag to clean up after your dog, whether you’ll be walking on city streets or using a common grassy area.
10. When you return home from walking Fido, make sure his paws are clean before heading back to your unit. If you’re living at one of SigNature Communities condos you will appreciate the convenience of pet washing stations located on the ground floor. At Tao Boutique Condos the Pet Wash station is located on the ground floor of the South Building and accessible via an east side entrance; and at East United Condos there will be a Pet Spa complete with a washing and drying station, just steps from the south side entrance.