Make Sure Your Home is in Tip Top Condition this Spring
While April showers may indeed lead to May flowers, they can also lead to a build-up of ground water, which makes spring a particularly important time to perform a series of home maintenance checks.
Regular maintenance is an important part of home ownership and helps ensure a positive environment in our household.
Tarion provides us with tips to make sure our home stays in good shape and covered under warranty.
Inside your home …
- Look-out for musty smells and odours. They are often an indicator of a hidden moisture problem.
- Check your windows and screens to make sure they’re in good working order.
- If you have a humidifier, clean it according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Clean or replace your furnace filter.
- Check air ducts, remove covers from vents and vacuum dust that has accumulated over the winter months.
- Air out a damp basement on dry sunny days.
- Have your roof inspected to ensure shingles, flashing and chimney caps are in place and sealed properly.
- Service your air conditioner. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, inspect, vacuum, brush outdoor coils, and wash or clean the filter.
- Inspect and fix the caulking and weather stripping around windows and doors and on the roof. Replace any areas that are cracked or separating.
- Leaves and sticks that accumulate through fall and winter can cause blockages, so be sure to regularly clear eavestroughs and gutters of debris.
- Extend downspouts so that water is directed away from your home.
- Turn on the exterior water supply.
- Inspect external exhaust vents to make sure they’re clear of debris.
- Check driveways and walks for frost damage that may have been hidden under snow.
Click here for more seasonal tips and enjoy taking pride and care in your home.